Beer Battered Tilapia
Now first off…..you don’t HAVE to use Beer. Soda Water, Ginger Ale, Ginger Beer and Sparkling Water are all good non-alcoholic alternatives. But beer really does make the crispiest batter and gives you a really light texture and golden colour.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your flour, paprika, garlic powder and pepper. Whisk the two eggs beforehand and then pour into your flour mix. Using a wooden spoon stir well until you have a thick slightly wet mix that looks a little like a bread dough.
- Now gradually pour in the beer a little at a time stirring in each time. Try not to use a whisk as this beats out the air and you want the air for that crispy light batter. Little lumps are also okay….they make for little crispy balls of batter called “scraps” ..YUM!
- Keep adding beer until you have something that resembles a pancake mix. If the batter is too runny it will not stay on the fish.
- For best results it is best to use the batter soon after preparation and avoid putting in the fridge as this only results in soggy batter!
- So in a saucepan heat 1 litre of cooking oil. Make sure the oil is deep enough to hold your fillets fully submerged. If not add another half a litre. Heat for 10 mins on a full flame and then reduce to medium flame. The oil must be nice and hot!
- It is best to use skin on fillets of tilapia without bones as you want to be able to just dip and bite!! No messing around with bones!
- Prepare a little more flour, this time on a large plate with salt and pepper. You will notice that I did not add salt to the batter mix …..this breaks down the egg whites and reduces your chance of getting maximum crispiness! Gently dust your fish fillets in the seasoned flour shaking off any excess then drop into your batter mix making sure they are coated generously.
- Now very carefully lay them into the hot oil ensuring that you lay them away from your body not towards you! Safety at all times!
- The fillets should take no longer than 5 minutes to cook or until the batter is golden and super crispy!
- Take them out with a metal spoon and onto kitchen roll or paper napkins to drain the excess oil.
- Best served with Sweet Potato chips and dipping into Tartar sauce …………what is Tartar sauce I hear you say???
- Simply mix together 4 tables spoons of mayonnaise with chopped capers, gerkins, pickles, fresh parsley, fresh dill, lemon juice, salt and black pepper to taste! Delicious! Enjoy!!